The MAKING-CITY project is now 21-months live and the consortium members are working jointly to determine by the end of the project valid and replicable standards to be the core of specific urban transition planning processes aligned with the vision and the goals of the cities. According to the project’s Grant Agreement the participants partners in charge of the “Demonstration of Positive Energy District” workpackage have started to purchase field experimentation to study technical solutions which could in the future be implemented in the PED models and processes. The demo houses project will promote the definition of a new concept of intervention related to the extensive retrofitting of homes. The consortium partners in charge are focusing on the retrofitting options of three individual buildings, terrace houses in the North PED of Groningen. For these three households different combinations of innovative and conventional technics were selected, based on calculations, to make these households energy positive.
The selection of Demo housesTo recruit the homes which will embody the demohouses project, the local partners have organized a cross-media campaign to share the message to the inhabitants of the North PED. A total of 18 homeowners signed up in the first round. Six demohouses were preselected and rated according six criteria:
- Is it representative for the district?
- Is there available physical space: does the house have enough space for sustainability measures or innovations?
- What is the potential of becoming energy positive?
- Unicity: does the house have any unique features that makes it a better candidate?
- Feasibility VS Investment: is the ratio between the investment and the energy savings reasonable?
- Innovativity of solutions: can the house become more sustainable using innovations?